Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Loved

Hi everyone! Micki here.
I hope everyone has been staying warm during this cold arctic blast.  I came down with the dreaded flu bug that is making the rounds and was not able to finish my planned project.  So I thought I’d share my altered heart which I created for eclectic Paperie’s first Get Altered Challenge of the new year. 
The deadline to enter is still a week away, plenty of time to join us in this challenge.  You can get all the details by clicking on the Get Altered Challenge button in the left sidebar.
Sue’s “Heart” challenge was the perfect opportunity for me to get out those hoarded wooden hearts which had been sitting in my closet collecting dust.
_MG_0002
I started out by brushing a coat of gesso onto the heart.  Once dry, it was followed by Tim Holtz Distress Paints which were dabbed all over, then spritzed with water.  My next layer was created with the new Prima  Elementals 12x12 Doily Stencil  and White Linen Dylusions Ink Spray.  I added some small hearts with a discontinued Hearts stencil from Heidi Swapp again using the White Linen ink spray. 
Next I added texture with Dylusions Basic Backgrounds and Unity’s She Art Print Texture stamps and Wendy Vecchi – Studio 490 Archival Ink.  I have to tell you, I absolutely LOVE her Watering Can archival ink.  Love that color, well, I love all of her colors, but that one is my ‘go-to’.  It’s still dark enough but it’s not “in your face” like black can be.
Then I added TCW’s 6x6 “Nancy”, by tracing around the template with a marks all pencil.  This was followed with a black Faber Castell Gelato which was smudged using a combination of my fingers and Tsukineko Fantastix (they work great for those areas where you finger is too big) and Tim Holtz Detailer water brush.
Because “hearts” is the theme, I added my heart with wings stencil with Studio 490 Black Embossing Paste using a palette knife.  Once dry, using a brush, it was filled in with Splash of Color Silks Acrylic Glazes.  A bit of doodle outlining with a black pen, followed by rubbing the edges with Faber Castell Gelato in black.  This time I used a combination of my finger and the broad Tim Holtz Water Brush.
_MG_0008
_MG_0007
_MG_0006
_MG_0005
_MG_0004
_MG_0003
I really love how this turned out, the glazes just shimmer wonderfully and the grunged up edges and the shadows around “Nancy” really make all the reds, pinks and yellow pop.   And as is so typical me, I had no idea what I was going to create.  I just knew I’d use the heart shaped wood but after that was a guess.  The end result is a wall hanging that reminds me that I am loved :).
Go check what’s in your closet, get it out and just start by applying paint, ink and sprays.  You never know what the end result can be……
Hope you were inspired and don’t forget to check out eP's Clearance section…… but you better hurry because at these prices, it’ll all be gone before you know it.







Supplies Used:

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it Micki!! Don't you just love it when you play and it turns out so amazing?! Love the embossed heart - it really pops out! And watering can - I will have to try that color!!

toni said...

Wow! What a result! This is just plain and simple GORGEOUS! Love it ! X

Giovana said...

Fantastic creation, Micki!!

steve said...

Amazing its great that how simple it can be to communicate with people and have them understand a certain topic, you made my day.

DIN 7 | ISO 8752

Sue Lelli said...

This heart is absolutely STUNNING, Micki! Love the heart and the black embossing! FAB creation!

Mary-Ann Maldonado said...

Love the embossed heart! This color pallet is just girly and perfect!

Andiepants said...

This is wonderful!!! I can't stand hearts...they are so cutesy...but you grunged this up perfectly!!! I love it and now want to try one of my own.